Wednesday, April 07, 2010

A heroine of mine

I don't care much for famous people, to be completely honest. I have very few role models that I don't know in some sense. I have always based my personal growth and inspiration on those I can access and be interactive with. In a blogging sense, I gravitate toward those I can learn from - you know who you are - some of whom I get to appreciate in person too. In a real life sense I spend time with some amazing writers with whom I work, some well-versed political folks, some people who just know a lot of stuff, some who have overcome difficult circumstances.


For me, these are my role models.


Except for one person who I admire from afar. Today I was quite surprised at how sad I felt when I read that Martina Navratilova was diagnosed with breast cancer. This fucking disease has infected thousands upon thousands of people, but it really struck me today just how it can smack anyone.


Martina Navratilova has always been a hero of mine. In my view, while everyone wanks over Roger Federer, I think she is the greatest tennis player of all time. The battles she fought were fairly difficult - she crossed the Iron Curtain to go and live in the US, where she was deeply unpopular due to her original country, as well as her open homosexuality. And she was booed and booed and booed, but she destroyed opponents before her. Her record is incomparable in professional tennis.


She beat every bloody thing that came her way, even winning a French Open mixed doubles title at the age of 52.


She fought and she won, and she fought and she won. And now she has to fight through 6 weeks of radiation therapy. She's got to fight and win again.


Jesus.


I am sure she will come through it. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't really sad about it.


It seems that Martina Navratilova is my Elvis.

No comments: